Inactive Learning Experiences - FLMI Courses
Descriptions and credit recommendations for all evaluated learning experiences
- Formerly Financial Services Environment [FLMI 351]; Economics and Investments [FLMI 350]
- Formerly Information Management in Insurance Companies [FLMI 340]; Information Management in Insurance Companies [Course 6]
- (Principles of Investment and Introduction to Institutional Investing)
July 2004 - May 2013.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to: describe the investment environment and the general principles of investing in individual securities and portfolios of securities; explain how investment performance is reported, monitored, and analyzed; discuss how the risk-return tradeoff setting and implementing investment goals; discuss the following aspects of institutional investing; roles of investment professionals, investment information systems, investment accounting and controls, investment compliance, and management of general and separate account portfolios.
This course covers the investment environment and the general principles of investing in both individual securities and portfolios of securities, setting and implementing investment goals in light of the risk-return trade-off, and investing in an institutional setting, including roles, administrative systems and processes, goal setting, performance reviews, and risk management. Topics include: the role and scope of investments; investment markets and transactions; online investing, information, and trading; investment return and risk; modern portfolio concepts; bond investments; bond valuation and analysis; common stock investments; stock valuation and investment decisions; mutual funds; institutional asset allocation; management of the investment function in institutions; marketing investing services to businesses and other institutions; accounting for investment expenses, managing transaction expenses; institutional approaches to risk management; investment compliance, prospectuses, registration, declaration of interest rates.
In the upper division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in Financial Services (12/04) (3/10 revalidation).
- Formerly Legal Aspects of Life and Health Insurance-Canada [FLMI 315]; Legal Aspects of Life Insurance [Course 3]; also known as Legal Aspects of Life Insurance [Part 3]
- Formerly Legal Aspects of Life and Health Insurance - U.S. [FLMI 310]; Legal Aspects of Life Insurance [Course 3]; also known as Legal Aspects of Life Insurance [Part 3]
- Formerly Management Principles and Practices [FLMI 330]; Management of Organizations and Human Resources [FLMI 330]; also known as Management of Organizations and Human Resources [Course 5]