(List of degree programs generally contains those that are designed to accommodate working adults and nontraditional students.) Associate of Arts in General Studies (A.A.G.S.) and Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.). Requirements may be met through self-paced online or correspondence courses. Students may also select from a growing number of semester-based online courses, and apply credits from a variety of online certificate programs. The distance degree is awarded through Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) at Indianapolis.
Students must complete a minimum of 15 semester hours of credit through Indiana University to earn the A.A.G.S. and a minimum of 30 semester hours of credit through Indiana University to earn the B.G.S.
Students work directly with an academic advisor to design a plan of study that encompasses three areas of learning: arts and humanities, social and behavioral sciences, and mathematics and natural sciences. Students complete required course work in these areas. In addition, students are required to take electives. They are encouraged to choose electives that meet their individual goals, and they may concentrate their course work in one of the three main learning areas. The multidisciplinary education provided through general studies prepares graduates to pursue advanced degrees in diverse subjects, and it positions them to be competitive in a variety of career fields.
- In addition to academic course work, students in the General Studies Degree program have a number of options for earning credit: transfer credit granted for courses completed at accredited community colleges and four-year colleges and universities
- Advanced Placement, CLEP, DANTES, and Excelsior College examinations
- Military service education and experiences recommended for credit by the American Council on Education (ACE) in its Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services
- Credit for professional education and experiences recommended for credit in the ACE National Guide to Education Credit for Training Programs and in College Credit Recommendation Service (CCRS) Online, the online directory of the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS)
- Credit for prior learning through assessment of self-acquired competency portfolio (students must complete 12 semester hours of credit through Indiana University before they can submit a self-acquired competency portfolio for faculty evaluation).